Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thinking Outloud

I just realized something. All of my favorita kitchens are white.
And I've got pictures of them too.

via











On the other hand, I've been doing some thinking. Ever since we got married two years ago, we haven't really done anything house-realted. There are sooo many things I'd love to do to make it more ours, if you know what I mean. We haven't been able, mainly due to a lack of both money and time, but this time I'm determined to do something about it. Of course those are big issues, but I'm hoping to jump the barriers and start now. It's my New Year's resolution.
So my first project, our kitchen:

To be more specific, my first project is painting my kitchen cabinets white.
Mi inspiration: all those fabulous white kitchens out there!

This is nerve-wrecking.

I need to know your opinion. What do you think about it?
I must confess I have no clue on how to paint furniture. But, I like researching and reading about other people's experience, and I'm somewhat a perfectionist. That must help, right?

So, if someone out there reading this knows how to do this, or has any suggestions for me, it would be greatly appreciated.


 




2 comments:

Unknown said...

yo no tengo idea de cómo pintarlas pero se va a ver increible cuando la acabeeees!!! ya la quiero veeeeer!! cuidateee amiga!

beth said...

Thanks for visiting me over at my blog and for taking the time to leave a comment!! :)
I love white kitchens, too!!
Our cabinets used to be natural Hickory and a couple of years ago, we painted them white. I love it!! And you can do it, too! It's really not too difficult to do.
Here are some tips I have:
First, remove your cabinet doors and remove all hardware.
Next, give the cabinets and doors a light sanding.
Now apply a good primer(I like Kilz), with a quality brush. Purdy brushes are amazing and the only brushes I use!
Let your primer dry for at least an hour, then apply a coat of paint. Don't skimp on the quality of the paint. Use a good paint. It will make a BIG difference! When you apply your paint, use thin coats. It's better to do several thin coats than 1 or 2 thick coats.
After the first coat dries, at least 4 hours, apply your next coat of paint. Make sure the paint is completely dry between coats. This is important.
Apply as many coats as you need to, making sure you allow at least 4 hours drying time between coats.
When complete, install hardware, hang doors, and enjoy your handiwork. That's all there is too it!!
If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask. I can't wait to see how your kitchen turns out. I love kitchen makeovers!!
Following along-
Beth. :)

LinkWithin